Southern Grampians Shire, VIC, 3301
1865 - None
What is significant?
The present Tarrington House, in Picnic Road about 3.0kms south of Tarrington, with its garden largely, dates from 1886 when it was substantially altered and extended by William James Carter. Although rare in the Shire, the symmetrical brick house, in a simple version of the Italianate style, and the two-storey cast iron verandah are conventional for the time. The house faces south to Mount Napier. As a small stone house, it had been the last home of the eminent pioneer, Stephen Henty and his widow Jane. Stephen Henty died there in 1872, financially distressed and living in reduced circumstances. Jane Henty, nee Pace, the first European woman resident in Port Phillip, lived there until 1884. Carter, a squatter formerly at the Glenisla run, added a large brick extension across and over the stone section, and a service wing at the rear. He also established a formal garden in front of the house with a service yard on the east side. The estate was subdivided for Closer Settlement after Carter died in 1904. Arthur Nagorka who, with his brother Ken, had leased the land from 1914, purchased the homestead block in 1927 and made further alterations at the rear. The house and garden retain a high degree of integrity from the late nineteenth century and it in very good condition.
How is it significant?
Tarrington House, Picnic Road, Tarrington is of historical and architectural significance to the community of Tarrington and to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Tarrington House, Picnic Road, Tarrington is of historical significance for its association with Stephen Henty MLC and Jane Henty, amongst Victoria's earliest and most important pioneers, and especially for demonstrating their circumstances and situation late in life. It is also of historical significance for its association with William James Carter as a demonstration of his squatting success and with the Nagorka family who became prosperous Lutheran immigrants in the district.
Tarrington House is of architectural significance as a rare example of a two-storied brick house with a cast iron verandah. The surrounding garden supports and compliments this significance.